This Category is for all instruments: Piano, Strings, Brass/Woodwinds, Guitar, Percussion, and Folk Instruments.
The sections for this category are: Solo, Duet/Trio/Ensemble (one piano), and Concerto.
- PRO (for contestants who choose to become/who are professional musicians)
- DEVOTEE (for contestants who began their piano education recently at any age, or students who are not majoring in music in college)
- SPECIAL (for contestants with special needs)
Competition Categories, Age Levels, and Performance Time
- Group 1 (ages 5 to 8) up to 5 min
- Group 2 (ages 9 to 11) up to 8 min
- Group 3 (ages 12 to 14) up to 8 min
- Group 4 (ages 15 to 18) up to 10 min
- Group 5 (ages 19 to 25) up to 12 min
- Group 6 (ages 26-36) up to 12 min
Repertoire for the Audition Round (AR) and Winners Gala Concert (GC)
Classical performance style requirements. For the Special Category, according to the individual musician’s abilities.
- One or two piano compositions (preferably in a contrasting style, if two compositions) from any musical period (Baroque, Classical, or Romantic), including contemporary composers and jazz composers of the contestant’s choice. (Find more suggested repertoire on the pages Featured Composers and Jevdet Hajiyev).
- Only original compositions for Solo. Arrangements are allowed only for Duet/Trio/Ensemble.
- Simple versions and arrangement of classical piano repertoire are allowed only for Special Category.
- Improvisations for Jazz repertoire are acceptable.
- Contestant may select short compositions from opuses (3-5 contrasted selections) of classical or contemporary composers for his/her program (Ex.: “Preludes” by F.Chopin, “Scenes from Childhood” op. 15 by R. Schumann, “Lyric Pieces” op.12 by E. Grieg, etc), but the contestant must follow the time limit.
- Contestants may select the part/parts of the suites or any big musical forms (concerto) for their program, following the time limit.
- For Sonata or Sonatina, only one movement (any movement) is required, but playing the whole Sonata, according to category’s time limit is acceptable.
- No repeats for parts of composition if repeats do not have different endings and do not disturb the musical form.
- Memorization is required.
- Only ONE of the two presented pieces (and same chosen pieces from opuses from the Audition Round) will be selected by the Judges for the Gala Concert for those who are chosen to perform in Carnegie Hall.
By signing the Entrance Application (Audition Round), participants agree to all terms and regulations of the Competition. Please direct any questions about the Competition to: email@example.com
Complete Application Form here.